I had quite a few projects that I wanted to get done over my summer break and I must admit that several of them aren’t finished. I still have time right? It’s not like school starts in a couple days or anything… oh wait…
Anyway, one of them that IS finished was making over this dresser which was passed down to us from Steve’s grandma. Here it is in it’s original form:
This was something I’d wanted to do for a while and was actually excited to work on, as opposed to something like painting the bathroom (which happens to still be unfinished, oops!).
For anyone that is into this sort of thing, I’ll give the breakdown of what I did here. If you’re just curious to see how it turned out and don’t care as much about the details, skip to the bottom for a picture!
I had to do all my work during Natalie’s nap time, so this project spread over the span of about 5 or 6 days total, I didn’t keep an exact count. I set up my work station in the garage for good ventilation.
Prep work was the first step and included removing old hardware, patching up some scratches and dents, sanding, and gluing some loose edges.
For paint I chose Behr Bleached Linen in semi-gloss to do the body of the dresser and the drawers. Below is a sample of how it looked after the first coat.
It took a solid 3 coats to get it covered the way I wanted and I ended up doing a 4th coat just to make sure, but it went on smoothly, dried well, and has a nice clean finish. I used an angled brush for all of the painting and it worked well. You can see brush strokes but that doesn’t really bother me.
I wanted to do the top in black for contrast and had originally picked Behr Cracked Pepper (also in semi-gloss) but once it was on it looked too gray to me. Not sure if you can tell from the picture, but this is the Cracked Pepper color on top.
I let it sit for a few days while I looked at it off and on and tried to decide what to do. In the end I knew I wanted change it to be truly black as well as glossier. I picked up Glidden Black Onyx in high gloss and that did the trick! Two coats and it covered beautifully.
For the new hardware I chose black handles and knobs to match the black top. I stuck with things that could fit to the existing holes so I didn’t have to fill anything or drill new spots.
Okay, so those are the details, now for the “reveal”, haha! Here is the original again, just as a reminder, followed by the finished product!
I’m super happy with how this turned out! We’re not using as a dresser actually but have it in our dining room instead as a buffet table. It’s a great place for extra storage and decoration.
I’m not HGTV ready, but I do think I’ll take on another furniture painting challenge in the future… this was fun!